The Stained Glass Windows Story

The Stained Glass Windows of St. Didacus Church

Stained glass windows in the church have always added beauty to the church and added to the sense that there is a sacred place, but they have also had the purpose of being an instrument of instruction and catechesis. Especially in the middle ages when so few people could actually read. The visual symbols and pictures depicted in the windows of a church were an illustrated catechism. With the idea of being both decorative and instructional, the stained glass windows were added in the parish church during the second half of the 1990's.

They consist of four separate themes:

  • The high windows on the south side of the church relate the stories and symbols of the parish's patron Saint Didacus, a Spanish Franciscan Friar who lived from 1400 to 1463.
  • The high panels on the north side of the church follow the Camino Real from Mission San Diego (Didacus) to the present parish, located alongside that historic way.
  • The lower windows on the south side, Our Lady's Chapel, are all themes from the life of the Blessed Mother.
  • The windows opposite on the north side, The Blessed Sacrament Chapel have a Eucharistic theme.
 
Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!