EL Camino Real

 

 

The High Windows on the North Side of the Church

El Camino Real – The Royal Road was the name given to the road that linked the twenty one missions of California. Supposedly the missions were located not more than a day’s journey apart so that someone traveling from San Diego in the south to Sanoma in the north could find shelter each night.

St. Didacus parish, named for San Diego (St. Didacus) the patron of the first mission was established along side the Camino Real as it passes from Mission San Fernando through the pass to the Santa Clarita River, then followed the river to Mission San Buenaventura.
  1. The first panel shows Mission San Diego, the starting point both geographically and historically.
  2. The mission bell represents the Camino Real. At one time the Automobile Club of California had set up a number of there marker bells to indicate where the old road had been.
  3. The road paired along the foothills as it entered the San Fernando Valley.
  4. The Olive Trees represent the Sylmar area. Which at the beginning of the 20th century was noted for its olive growers. In fact the name Sylmar is derived from the “Sea of Trees” effect that one would perceive when looking down on the blue-green carpet of olive trees. Liturgical symbol – olive branch representing peace.
  5. The parish grounds were formerly a citrus grove.
  6. Our local mission San Fernando Rey de España is depicted in the windows on being the first church established in the valley in 1797. The mission was abandoned about 1840 and restored to the Catholic Church by President Lincoln in 1863.
  7. The Owen Valley Aqueduct has its southern terminus In the hills above Sylmar. It’s opening in 1913 brought water to Los Angeles area and signaled the beginning of change to the San Fernando Valley from agricultural to residential. Liturgically flowing water symbolizes “new life”
  8. We end our journey at the parish church seen in this panel.

 

 

 
Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!